Gas Explosion Causes Caledonia Barn Fire
A man trying to put gas in his truck accidentally started his barn on fire Tuesday and firefighters from neighboring jurisdictions were called out to put out the blaze.
A barn started on fire after a man accidentally spilled gasoline onto a light bar that fell while he was trying to put gas in his truck at 11:31 a.m. Tuesday at 12820 Adams Road.
According to a report by the Caledonia Police Department, the homeowner told them the gas exploded into flames and he dropped the gas can.
The man told police he was OK, but he had some smoke inhalation and some of his hair was singed. Rescue personnel from the Caledonia Fire Department treated the man at the scene.
Because there weren’t any fire hydrants in the area, water had to be brought in by tanker trucks. Fire personnel from the Raymond, Franklin and South Shore fire departments helped assist in putting out the fire.
A number of antique cars, a boat and furniture were damaged during the fire. The estimated loss of the barn and the contents inside the barn is $275,000.