UPDATE: Man Dies in Caledonia House Fire
An elderly man died Monday night in a house fire iin the 3500 block of Green Bay Road. A dog was recused from the blaze.
Updated at 9 p.m. Monday
An elderly man was killed Monday night after a house fire in the 3500 block of North Green Bay Road in Caledonia.
According to a battalion chief at the scene, the fire was caused by negligent use of smoking materials. A police officer was the first one on the scene, and broke down the home's door to gain access. The officer began performing CPR on the elderly man, who was taken to the hospital. The man used oxygen for medical reasons.
Firefighters were called to the home around 7 p.m. Smoke was the major issue at the scene, according to fire department personnel. North Green Bay Road was closed to traffic between Rapids Drive and 3 Mile Road because of the fire.
According to a neighbor, a dog was taken out of the home.
Patch will have more details on the fire as they become available.