Power Outage And Clogged Flue Cause Smoke Damage To Franksville Home
The owners of a Franksville home come back to a smoke-filled basement after the vent on their pellet fireplace stopped working.
Firefighters from the South Shore and Caledonia fire departments responded to a report of smoke coming out of a basement window at 6:17 p.m. Saturday from a residence located at 4847 County Highway H.
Smoke filled the basement after the flue from a pellet fireplace clogged because the vent had been deactivated from the power being out. The damage was estimated at $2,000.
No one was at home at the time of the fire, but a small dog was found hiding in a bedroom on the second floor, according to a report by the Caledonia Police Department.
The build-up of residue on the chimney pipes, and the exhaust fan failure caused the smoke to back up into the basement.