Many of us consume coffee every day for a kick of caffeine. However, many coffee drinks such as lattes, or blended drinks are loaded with fat and calories. You could be consuming over 300 calories before you even eat breakfast! Check out these tips on how to make your next cup of jo better for your health.
- Try it black- Coffee itself is over 98% water, and 1 mug amounts to only about 3 calories. When we add creams and sugar is when the calorie and fat continent starts to add up.
- Order it “Skinny”- By telling your Barista you want your drink served skinny you will eliminate over half of the fat content from the drink.
- Sugar-Free is the Way to Be- Using sugar free additives or letting your barista know you want a sugar free drink will also decrease the calorie and fat content of the drink
- Fat-Free- If you add milk or cream to your coffee drinks; try to make it skim milk. Many coffee joints will use half & half or whole milk. Low fat substitutes will significantly decrease fat and calories
- Avoid Syrup Toppings- Many coffee drinks will add a chocolate or caramel topping to your beverage. Skipping the syrups will surely make you drink healthier.
- Skip the Whip- Asking for no whip cream will typically cut calories in half in most coffee drinks.
- Try Tea- Many teas are naturally caffeinated. – Like coffee drinks you need to be cautious of what you are adding to you tea as well.
- Check the Facts- Websites for popular coffee establishments have menus that provide the nutrition information for all of their drinks, take a look at these before ordering, you may be able to find a tasty low-cal option of your favorite beverage.