The Racine County Sheriff Department has released the mug shot of local billionaire Samuel Curtis Johnson III. He is charged with repeated sexual assault of a child. Johnson, who lives in Caledonia, is the son and heir of the late Sam Johnson.
According to a criminal complaint, Johnson admitted to having inappropriate contact with a now 15-year-old girl. She told authorities that Johnson kissed her on the mouth and touched her with his hands under her clothes and that the abuse started when she was in 6th or 7th grade. When Johnson asked the girl to have sex with him, she refused.
The Racine County District Attorney charged Johnson on March 24, and he will next appear in court on April 13 for a preliminary hearing. Michael Nieskes, the district attorney, said the prosecution will present their case to a judge and that there is enough evidence to proceed to trial. Johnson will have the right to waive the hearing, but he must do so with his attorneys in open court.
Parts of the criminal complaint were sealed after a motion was presented by Mark Richards and Michael Hart, lawyers for Johnson, and will probably remain sealed unless a judge rules otherwise.
Johnson is out on a $500,000 cash bond and has been ordered to not leave the state and to surrender his passport. If convicted, he faces up to 40 years in prison and $100,000 in fines.
He stepped down from his top position at Diversey, Inc. in Sturtevant earlier this year, citing "personal reasons."