Does the Grinch live in Greenfield? Greenfield residents reported damaged or stolen Christmas decorations this past week:
- Decorations were damaged in the 4300 block of South 59th Street sometime Dec. 2 night or early Dec. 3 morning.
- Saturday overnight, Christmas decorations were stolen from a home in the 5300 block of West Plainfield Avenue and three lighted reindeer and an extension cord were stolen from a home in the 6700 block of West Plainfield.
- Christmas decorations candy canes were pulled out of the ground Saturday, for the second time this year, at a home in the 4300 block of South 49th Street.
Car theft, not: A car was reported stolen Dec. 3 from the parking lot of Sports Authority, 5070 S. 74th St. However, the car was found in the El Beso parking lot. The driver had forgotten he parked it there and walked to Sports Authority.
Car taken and abandoned: A Buick LeSabre was reported stolen from the 3800 block of South 35th Street Dec. 3. The car was found abandoned with its windows down on Lynndale Avenue Sunday.
Two men stole a 32” Toshiba television from the hhgregg store, 4585 S. 76thSt., Dec. 5. They took the TV, still in its large cardboard box, shoved it into a waiting Suburban and fled onto the expressway, according to the police call log.
Other retail thefts:
- At Stan's Fit for Your Feet Dec. 3 at 12:22 p.m.
- A man got away with unpaid groceries from Walmart Dec. 3 at 5:57 p.m.
- A 27-year-old man was cited for retail theft at Target Dec. 5 at 1:34 p.m.
- Rogan’s Shoes Dec. 6 at 4:47 p.m.
- Two men "walked out" with two computers from Walmart Dec. 6 at 6:24 p.m.
Theft of money, gum and headphones was reported at Greenfield High School Dec. 3 at 2:29 p.m.
A GPS was reported stolen Dec. 4 at 7:27 a.m. from an unlocked Camaro in the 3300 block of West Lynndale Avenue.
An employee at Sendik’s was cited for employee theft Dec. 4 at 6:40 p.m.
A bike was reported stolen Dec. 7 at 7:18 a.m. in the 7000 block of West Van Norman Avenue. The bike was found not far away.
Prowling: A 17-year-old man was arrested for prowling Dec. 6 at 2:02 p.m. in the 9300 block of West Coldspring Road.
Graffiti: Graffiti was reported Dec. 4 morning at Stan's Fit for Your Feet. Also, something was etched into window.
City living? A caller reported that they hit a deer near 84th Street and West Forest Home Avenue Dec. 6 at 11:56 p.m.
Mother/son fight: A mother and her 13-year-old son were advised by the police following a family fight at the Forum, 4711 S. 108th, Dec. 4 at 7:01 p.m. The mom called 911 and said the teen was pounding on her car window and punched-out a side mirror. The teen wanted to wait in the car following an argument at the restaurant over dessert but his mother refused to allow it. The mother said the teen left. Officers report that the woman tried to leave her son behind at Forum or with the police. The mother was warned by police for abandoning her son and the son was warned about his behavior. The mother didn’t want to press charges about the broken mirror.
Out-of-control: Police were called to assist at Elm Dale Elementary, 5300 Honey Creek Dr., Dec. 5 at 11:55 a.m., with a 7-year-old boy who was uncontrollable, according to school staff. Police said that the student calmed down upon the officer’s arrival and was counseled on his behavior. His mother picked him up from school.
Operating while intoxicated
- A 57-year-old man was arrested for operating while intoxicated after a caller reported the man’s car was swerving and hit a curb at Dec. 7 12:46 a.m. at 35th Street and Layton Avenue.
- A 46-year-old man found slumped over the driver’s wheel of a car at Citgo, 4306 W. Layton Ave., Dec. 8 at 12:29 a.m. He was arrested for operating while intoxicated and possession of a controlled substance.
- A 23-year-old woman was arrested Dec. 8 at 3:06 a.m. in the 4500 block of West Forest Home for operating while intoxicated.
- A 62-year-old man was arrested Dec. 8 3:09 a.m. near South 99th Street and West Layton for operating while intoxicated.
- A 52-year-old man was arrested for operating while intoxicated, possession of marijuana, and having drug paraphernalia Dec. 8 at 1:11 a.m after a caller reported he struck some shopping carts and hit a curb at Walgreens, 4296 S. 76 St. His car was found in the Speedway lot.
In all incidents where an arrest or citation occurred, a charge is only an accusation and not evidence of guilt. The arrested person is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.