Alan Harris, a Racine Unified School District deputy superintendent whose position is being eliminated in a cost-cutting move, will become the directing principal at Knapp Elementary School for 2011-12.
Harris joined RUSD in 2009, coming from the Madison Metropolitan School District where he was principal at Madison East High School. He had previously been a principal at the elementary, middle and high school levels in California and Wisconsin. At Knapp, he will replace Gayle Titus.
“He (Harris) requested it. He feels that a leadership position at an elementary school is where he wants to be. He’ll be missed at Central Office,” said Stacy Tapp, district spokesperson.
Harris’ appointment was among 15 principal assignments announced by RUSD on Thursday.
“We’re better aligning our staff. It involves looking at each principal’s strengths and talents and where they can be the most effective,” said Tapp.
Caledonia and Mount Pleasant schools getting new directing principals are:
- Case High School: Jeff Eben, Gifford Elementary, replacing Stephanie Pfernetton.
- Gifford Elementary: Les Hunt from Red Apple Elementary, replacing Jeff Eben.
- Wind Point Elementary: Kathryn Poznanski, Gilmore Middle School assistant principal, replacing Irene Nahabedian
Elsewhere in Unified, principals will be changing at:
- Early Childhood (Racine Early Education Center): Culleen Witthuhn replacing Chuck Tyler.
- Jefferson Lighthouse Elementary: Rosalie Daca, assistant principal at McKinley Middle School, replacing Soren Gajewski.
- Red Apple Elementary: Leslie Jensen, principal at Mitchell Middle School, replacing Les Hunt.
- Roosevelt Elementary: Staci Kimmons, principal at Julian Thomas Elementary, replacing Jeffrey Rasmussen.
- Gilmore Middle School: Dan Bieser, subschool principal at Park High School, to assistant principal.
- Jerstad-Agerholm Middle School: Terry Chapman, assistant principal at Gifford Elementary, to assistant principal.
- McKinley Middle School: Isaac Kirkwood, associate principal at Gilmore Middle School, to assistant principal.
- Mitchell Middle School: Soren Gajewski, principal at Jefferson Lighthouse Elementary, replacing Leslie Jensen.
- Starbuck Middle School: Cecelia Holley-Young, principal at Jerstad-Agerholm Elementary, replacing Sandra Brand.
At Janes Elementary, Walter Robles, who had been interim directing principal, will be directing principal. At Wadewitz Elementary, interim directing principal Chad Chapin, will be directing principal.
Tapp said that additional appointments for 2011-12 will be announced in the coming weeks.