Sealed Air YMCA
The Sealed Air YMCA will officially open for business on September 1 after just a year of construction, but it has been planned for years.
First named the Diversey YMCA because of a generous donation of $6 million, the name of the new Y changed because Sealed Air - makers of Bubble Wrap - acquired Diversey in early 2012.
Thanks to the generosity of the entire community - businesses and individuals - the new, $14 million, 70,000 square foot facility will feature state-of-the-art amenities:
- Five-lane, 25-meter pool;
- A great water slide;
- Hardwood gym big enough for two games simultaneously or one headline game;
- Multi-generational, multi-purpose room;
- Childcare center;
- An aerobic center for spin, step and aerobic classes;
- Full-service wellness center
- Running track
Residents living in Racine County are excited about the new YMCA opening because while there are other fitness locations, none of them cater to the entire family.
From small toddlers playing in the child care center to school-age kids participating in basketball, teens who get the most out of education through the after-school program to parents and grandparents who spin and swim their way to health, the Mount Pleasant YMCA will be a community center for the whole family.
A special ribbon-cutting and dedication celebration is planned for September 8. Tours are planned for September 1, 2, 8 and 9, 2012. Anyone who brings in the postcard mailer will have their joining fee waived.
Entertainment will be part of the day, too. The Kilties will play at 1 pm on September 8 and plan to use the new Y as their homebase for practicing.
The new Mount Pleasant YMCA is designed to be the community center for families.
- Hours: 5 am - 9 pm Monday through Friday; 6 am - 6 pm Saturday; 8 am - 4 pm Sunday
- Handicap Accessible: Ground level; elevator to 2nd Floor
- Founding Date: 2012
- What makes this community special?: The YMCA is the center of the community through their mission of healthy kids, healthy families, healthy communities.
- Payments accepted: Cash, Debit Card, MasterCard, Visa
- Discounts: Military, Senior
- Parking: Free lot
- Private events: Yes
- Class Schedule Link: ymcaracine.org/schedules.html
- What's the best time of day to visit the gym?: All day, every day!
- Features: Cardio (bicycle), Cardio (elliptical), Cardio (stair master), Cardio (tread mill), Sauna, Steam room, Strength (free weights), Strength (machines), Swimming pool
- Services: Classes, Fitness assessment, Personal training
- Classes/programs: Aerobics, Body sculpting, Cycling, Martial arts, Pilates, Swimming, Weight loss, Yoga
- Restrictions: No alcohol, No outside food, No pets, No smoking
- Number of lanes in the pool: 5
- Pool length: 25 meters
- Diving: No
- Number of classes/week: 100
- Average class size: 10
- Number of instructors: 25
- Type: Tae Kwon Do
- Sports played: Basketball, Football, Swimming, Volleyball