Saturday, November 10, 2012
Individuals and area businesses are pulling together to help the Scott family of Racine.
The metro Racine community stepped up in record time to offer assistance to the Scott family after a fire destroyed their home and took the lives of three children. Dayja Scott, 9; Daliya Scott, 8, died at the scene. Their brothers Michael Scott, 7, and Luther Scott, 5, were transported to Children’s Hospital in Milwaukee. Michael Scott passed away Friday, but Luther Scott remains at Children’s recovering. Their mother, Deborah Scott, is staying with family when she is not at the hospital with her remaining son. From the readers of Racine Uncovered who offered money, clothes and furniture; to Fratt School - where the children attended – collecting cash and gas cards; to local restaurant owners who want to make sure the family is fed and …
Friday, November 9, 2012
Beth David writes that a pending decision to close a fire station in the City of Racine, especially after the fire that claimed the lives of two little girls, is a bad choice that could have long-term negative consequences.
I attended the vigil last night at 7 p.m. that was held in front of the home where 2 girls' lives were cut short, 9-year-old Dayja Scott and 8-year-old Dalijah Scott. 2 little boys were hurt; 7-year-old Michael Scott and 5-year-old Luther Scott remain hospitalized. I saw a community come together, people young and old, people from all walks of life to show they care and to show sympathy after such a tragic loss. I saw tears coming from children’s eyes who played with the victims, friends and neighbors hugged each other, strangers that never met the family bow their heads. I went as a mother of two daughters to show my respect for the family, I could never fathom the pain they are going through right now. I stood in front of the boarded up …
Monday, June 11, 2012
An elderly man died Monday night in a house fire iin the 3500 block of Green Bay Road. A dog was recused from the blaze.
Updated at 9 p.m. Monday An elderly man was killed Monday night after a house fire in the 3500 block of North Green Bay Road in Caledonia. According to a battalion chief at the scene, the fire was caused by negligent use of smoking materials. A police officer was the first one on the scene, and broke down the home's door to gain access. The officer began performing CPR on the elderly man, who was taken to the hospital. The man used oxygen for medical reasons. Firefighters were called to the home around 7 p.m. Smoke was the major issue at the scene, according to fire department personnel. North Green Bay Road was closed to traffic between Rapids Drive and 3 Mile Road because of the fire. According to a neighbor, a dog was taken out of the …
Thursday, December 29, 2011
Trad Schluechermann instinctively ran into the smoke during last Saturday's fire at Corner Connection. His courage helped save a fellow Caledonia resident.
According to a story in The Racine Journal Times, Caledonia resident, Trad Schluechtermann, acted on instinct when he helped saved the life of David L. Peters in last Saturday's early morning fire at Corner Connection Tavern. "I kicked the door open, got down on my hands and knees and followed the screams," recalls Schluechermann. Schluechermann braved through the thick smoke to drag Peters through the kitchen and when he could no longer move him, he ran for help. Peters' roommate, 53 year old Mark Stroede, died in the fire. You can read the full story HERE.
Monday, December 26, 2011
A fire ravaged an apartment above Corner Connection Tavern on Saturday morning. The surviving victim is now being treated in a burn center.
As reported in the Racine Journal Times, the fire which claimed the life of a 53 year old Caledonia resident has now sent it's other victim to a specialized burn ward. Very early Saturday morning, a fire in the apartment above Corner Connection Tavern, 6961 Douglas Avenue, claimed the life of Mark A. Stroede. His roommate, David L. Peters, 48, is now being treated in Milwaukee's Columbia-St. Mary's Hospital's Burn Center. The cause of the fire is still being investigated. You can read the full story HERE.
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Police learn the man suffered from dementia and probably didn't know he set the fire.
A man, who suffered from dementia and cancer, intentionally set a fire at 7:59 p.m. Sunday, July 17 at 7500 block of Linwood Road. After police convinced the man to go to the hospital, staff questioned his living conditions and police found that he lived in the basement in filthy conditions. They also found numerous guns in the home. According to a report by the Caledonia Police Department, the fire was put out quickly, but a neighbor told police he didn’t think the man could care for himself. Fire officials told police, the 66-year-old man probably didn’t know that he started a fire. They found some burned wooden boards near some gasoline cans. The man asked rescue personnel to look at a bee sting he had on his face, but they determined …
Monday, July 4, 2011
Caledonia, South Shore, Racine, Oak Creek and Raymond firefighters battle blaze.
UPDATE: Battalion Chief Jeffrey Buenger, of the Caledonia Fire Department, said the cause of the fire was classified as careless use of smoking materials. Initial damage estimates will likely come in at $150,000 for the structure and could be higher adding in the contents. Adjacent residents may also add to that total if they request new paint and carpeting. Four families were displaced from their homes after a fire ripped through the back of an eight-unit apartment building at 3540 Highway H in Franksville. Fire personnel from Raymond, South Shore, Caledonia, and the Racine Fire Bells along with the Red Cross responded to the fire at about 3:30 a.m. Monday, July 4. The whole back end of one of the second story apartments was charred and a…
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Would you pay extra?
Searching for potential revenue sources, the Legislative and Licensing Committee discussed imposing fees for police, fire and ambulance services at a meeting held Tuesday, June 14. Properties with a tax exempt status will be reviewed to ensure they have a valid tax status. While some tax exempt entities file documentation proving their status with the Village, many property owners do not file them and the Village has not actively pursued the issue. Elaine Ekes, the Village Attorney, said if people didn't pay the fees, they wouldn't be denied services. While no decisions were made about which fees they would impose or how much those fees would be, the Committee is researching the issue. Kevin Wanggaard, a village board member and Committee …
Thursday, May 12, 2011
Fire Chief Dick Roeder shows how a controlled burn works.
The house was old, had no roof over the kitchen and had seen better days. So a number of fire departments -- including Caledonia's -- showed up Thursday morning to do what is called a controlled burn, which helps to train firefighters how to battle fires. Fire Chief Dick Roeder said they don't get these opportunities very often. But when they do, they try to include as many are fire departments as they can for the training. To see what it was like, watch the video above.
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
One Wisconsin Legislator thinks so, and that has one union official from Caledonia crying foul.
Under Gov. Scott Walker’s controversial budget repair bill, public safety workers were exempt from restrictions on collective bargaining; but one lawmaker wants that changed. So what’s changed? According to an Associated Press story running on the Journal Times website, Independent Rep. Bob Ziegelbauer of Manitowoc wants to allow municipalities to mandate employee health and pension contributions, which are currently set through collective bargaining. And this has Jason Hempel, president of the local firefighters union for the Caledonia Fire Department and an executive board member on the Wisconsin Professional Fire Fighters Association, pretty angry. In January, Walker introduced a budget repair bill that passed both the Republican …